I’ve struggled with taming my mane until I was 17 years old. I used to not care. I didn’t brush it, straighten it, curl it, put product in it, or anything. My hair was a frizzy mess.
Like I said, I initially did not want to go through the trouble of fixing my hair. However, it did not look pretty. I realized that if I ever wanted a real job or a boyfriend, I was going to have to figure my hair situation out.
What I’ve Tried…
Ponytail or Pigtails.
- I wore my hair up most days when I was in middle school. I couldn’t wear it in a high pony because it was too heavy and hurt my neck. So it just sat flat on my back and did not look stylish in the tiniest bit. The pigtails were not too great either. I looked like a cocker spaniel…
- In eighth grade through my junior year of high school, I straightened my hair almost every day. My hair is THICK. So it did not look good straight and took about 30 minutes to do every morning. It is also not naturally straight so it would frizz up and get poofier as the day went on.
- This has to be my favorite heavy/thick hair hack! When my hair is long, I braid it almost every day. Keeps it off my neck on hot days. It simply sits on my shoulder so the weight doesn’t give me a headache or hurt my neck. And it is much quicker than curling my hair. My hair is currently too short to braid, but once it gets longer, you know that’s what I’ll be doing!
Current Hair Products…
It took me a very long time to get into a well established hair care routine that works for me. But I think I finally found one that suits me.
- This shampoo and conditioner set works amazingly well on my hair. It softens it, repairs damaged strands, and protects it against heat. It also tames my frizz. Another plus: it smells amazing. I wash my hair with these only about twice a week.
- I’ve been using this product for about four months now and it is a life saver! It naturally curls my hair so that I can just wear it naturally! My hair is already naturally curly but some areas fall flat or are simply wavy which is why it didn’t look good natural before, but with this product it looks great! Be warned, however, the directions tell you to put as much in your hair as you would if you were applying a hair mask. I did this my first time and my hair was extremely oily the next day. It was nasty. I use about a dime size amount and only apply it to the ends of my hair.
- I know this is pretty common knowledge but guys! Baby powder really does work with oily hair! As I previously mentioned, my hair is oily and I only wash it twice a week. I’ve been on the hunt for dry shampoo for a while. They aren’t the cheapest, so I was scared to commit to anything. Finally I decided to just try baby powder as that is way less expensive. And it works amazingly!! I just pour a small amount onto my hands, put it on the top of my head, rub it in real good, and comb it out until the white is no longer visible.
- On days I don’t wear my hair naturally, I curl it with this. This tool is a life saver and I haven’t found anything else I like more. It gets the job done quickly and efficiently.
- Dove recently sent me a few of their new products to test them out and give them a review. I have to say that I love all of the products they sent me. The shampoo and conditioner are honestly the best smelling hair products I have ever tried and I make my husband sniff my head after every shower. LOL. I might switch between my current shampoo and conditioner with Dove’s every so often because honestly it works just as well.