Matthew and I went to Michigan this past weekend to celebrate our 1 year anniversary and we had a blast!
Michigan is one of my favorite places to go. I have been all over that state! It is so convenient since it touches Ohio. Here are a few things you can do if you stay in Michigan:
1. Empire, MI. Not very touristy, yet a cute and fun little town. It is close to many touristy areas such as Traverse City and the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes. It is only minutes away from Glenn Arbor. The beaches are absolutely stunning.
2. Lake Ann, MI. This is where our Airbnb was. If you ever want to stay in this area of MI, I highly recommend staying with Val and Bill in their Airbnb. They were the kindest elderly couple who respected our privacy but said hello when we saw them. They also offered some suggestions for us to do on our trip.
3. Traverse City, MI. This is a very touristy city. Which means that there is a lot to do here! We loved the city and want to go back!
4. Torch Lake, MI. This lake is apparently very popular. It looks like the Bahamas! I’ve heard of several celebrity spottings here. Such a gorgeous lake!
THINGS TO DO
1. Visit the Beach.2. Kayak/Canoe.
3. Hike the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes. (Warning: It is only a 3.5 mile hike round trip, but takes about 3 hours to complete. Hiking on sand is much harder than hiking on solid ground. Be sure you have water bottles and sunscreen for your trip).
4. Visit Lighthouses.
1. Joe’s Friendly Tavern in Empire, MI. (So good we ate here twice!)
2. The Little Fleet in Traverse City, MI. (Lots of yummy food trucks!)
3. Dockside in Torch Lake, MI. (You can eat on a dock and watch the sunset on the lake!)